The AA of Kenya was founded in 1919 by Lionel Douglas Galton Fenzi as the Royal East Africa Automobile Association. First chairman was the then Governor of Kenya, Sir Edward Northey, while Fenzi served as Honorary Secretary until his death on May 15th 1937. With the aim of promoting and safeguarding the interests of motorists the association has since the very beginning provided information and advice about the purchase, maintenance and repair of vehicles, negotiating attractive insurance premiums, road mapping and the setting up of petrol depots. In 1923, Galton Fenzi started negotiating for loan cars so that they could be tested under East African conditions. He received several vehicles, notably among them a Riley 12/50 from the Riley Motor Car Co. Ltd of Coventry, which was used by Fenzi and Captain Gethin to pioneer a route from Nairobi to Mombasa in January 1926, a distance of 300 miles. He also pioneered the Nairobi - Dar es Salaam - Malawi route, and the Nairobi - Khartoum route.
By 1925 the membership of the association had grown to 2000, but the effects of the Second World War reduced the membership to 1,189 by 1939 and 753 in 1946. To diversify its services, the association started operating a driving school in 1962 beginning with a single Ford Anglia. The idea was introduced by the late M.A.S Northcorte and other former British army men. Respected for its strictness, in depth curriculum and commitment to responsible driving AA has become one of the most favoured driving schools on the continent. In the year 2000 AA Kenya completed the construction of it's million dollar headquarters comprising a highly equipped garage. At present the association has over 100,000 members and branch offices in all major towns countrywide. Internationally, AA Kenya is affiliated with Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile (FIA) which represents over 100 million motorists worldwide.